Thursday, July 14, 2011

Coolest bar/café in Venice

 When one travels to Italy from the US, it becomes clear very quickly that Italians do not care about air conditioning or ice, although their country is hot as hell. Mood Café in Venice at Campo Santa Margherita has both.

Most bars and restaurants in Venice have signs touting them as being “air conditioned.” Don’t believe it. How can the place be cool if the outside temperature is 90, with 90% humidity, and the door is open? Mood Café, however, is indeed air conditioned and cool inside, even with the door open.


In addition to being cool inside, Mood has one of the best, if not the best, selections of beer in Venice. Not Italian beers, mind you, but a huge selection of Belgians on tap and in the bottle, as well as American, German and English. For example, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Brooklyn Beer. Oh, you want Italian beer? Fine, go somewhere and have an Italian beer. Then, after you realize that they generally suck, come to mood, be cool and comfortable, and drink some decent beer.


Max
 Mood also has a great selection of sandwiches, and during lunch, Max will make you a wonderful salad, and he has a great hamburger.

To top it all off, there is always an English language newspaper available.

So, if you want to cool off after walking around Venice on a hot day, go to Mood Café on Campo Santa Margherita. Look for the black table cloths. Tell them Mike sent you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had known about you before we came to Venice. I'm enjoying your blog. I was only in Venice a day and a half in october with my daughter. We just walked around taking photos - of them I have no idea what they are. I'm back in New Zealand now working through the photos. I wonder if you could spare the time to at least tell me what district I was in - that would help me enormously!! Here are six of my images 2-3 taken in Burano, the rest while walking in Venice. http://www.robyncarterphotos.blogspot.co.nz/search/label/Venice . By the way - I found your blog as it was advertised in mine (photography tour). If I ever get back to Venice, I'll be doing one with you!!!

Cheers
Robyn